Local

Mar 15, 2013 7:47 AM by Swetha Iyengar

Cooking fire at apartment on Northwest side

TUCSON - Firefighters were called to put out a late-night grease fire at an apartment on the Northwest side.

Northwest Fire Dept. responded to the Village of the Foothills shortly after 11 pm last night. Crews went inside the apartment and found smoke had spread throughout the unit, but most of the flames had been tamed by a fire extinguisher.

Investigators with Northwest Fire say three people were in the apartment and started making "late night snacks" while playing video games. They turned the stove top on high, to heat oil then left the kitchen and began playing video games.

The trio soon noticed a fire coming from the cooking pan and evacuated the apartment. One of them, a 24 years-old man rushed down stairs and used his fist to break the glass of the fire extinguisher box. He went back to the apartment to put out some of the flames.

We're told he was treated for minor injuries at the scene before seeking further care at a local hospital.

The two residents of the apartment will be staying with friends until repair from smoke and fire damage to the unit is repaired. There are no estimates to the cost of the damage available at this time.

»Comments

More News

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4