Sep 4, 2013 9:17 PM by Sam Salzwedel
TUCSON - The attorney of a boy punched by the Sahuaro High School principal wants the principal to retract a statement he called slanderous.
Christopher Bonn confronted the 16-year-old, who was in a car with his step-daughter, around 4 a.m. Monday. The parents say she snuck out of the house.
The boy hired Jesse Smith to protect his victim's rights. Smith said filing a civil suit is a possibility.
"I am a father," Smith said. "I would be concerned, but I wouldn't be attacking the boy. She wasn't being held captive. She was out there voluntarily. It was a guy she had been dating for a long time. And again, there was nothing romantic or sexual going on. They were just talking, and there was absolutely no justification for this kind of brutal attack."
A statement from Bonn's attorney said the boy is a drug user and had a gun.
"They were really shocked to hear this allegation," Smith said. "This young man has absolutely no prior police contacts of any kind. He has never been suspended from school."
Bonn's attorney, Brad Roach, said his client is confident he will be found not guilty because the boy was reaching for a gun.
5 hours ago