Posted: Feb 11, 2013 12:22 PM
PHOENIX (AP) - Maricopa County supervisors have approved a $550,000 settlement offer for the family of an inmate who died after an altercation with jail detention officers in 2011.
But the family's lawyer told The Arizona Republic that said the county's "offer of judgment" is a procedural step that won't keep the family from going to trial.
Ernest Atencio's family filed a lawsuit last October that noted the county jail system's repeated failures to offer adequate medical care for inmates and treatment for the mentally ill.
The family had previously filed a notice of claim offering to settle for $20 million.
The 44-year-old Atencio had an altercation with Phoenix police and jail officers while he was being booked on an assault charge on Dec. 15, 2011. He died five days later.
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Help those in need this holiday season
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
Win! Win! Win!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Let us help grow your business
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories