Sep 6, 2010 8:42 PM
TUCSON - Two fires within a couple of hours of one another have both been ruled accidental.
Both happened Monday morning, starting with mobile home near Curtis Road, East of I-10.
Crews responded around 3:00 A.M.
On scene crews found a person trapped in an adjoining workshop.
"Had it not been from some early notification on the part of the firefighters in getting him out, him making noise and letting us know he was in there, we could have easily gone into the other side of the building to put the fire out not knowing he was in there," said Northwest Fire's Adam Goldberg.
The patient was treated on scene for smoke inhalation and the fire was ruled accidental from electrical failure in the home.
About two hours later at 6:00 A.M. a fire at U-Store It self storage on Ruthrauff near La Cholla.
"As we've seen today the next fire can be within just an hours time period away so we get ready as quick as we ca for the next one," said Goldberg.
Flames hit two storage units. Several others had to be opened to contain the fire.
The fire department had a hard time getting into the storage units because of the round metal locks. Instead they were forced to use a rotary saw to open up the metal doors.
"I always recommend the round disc locks just because it's harder for the bad guys to get in. It's harder for the good guys too," said onsite manager David Rauch.
He found out when he returned home from a weekend getaway.
"Kind of an empty feeling, I mean it's the ultimate end to a nice weekend," said Rauch.
That fire was also ruled accidental from spontaneous combustion.