Aug 25, 2014 8:50 PM by Associated Press
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) - Authorities are working to recover the bodies of two workers who died after apparently becoming overcome by toxic fumes in a sewer outside a Scottsdale shopping mall.
Scottsdale Fire Department officials say three workers were doing some maintenance or repair work in the sewer near The Promenade around 4 p.m. Monday.
They say one of the men was able to climb out despite feeling lethargic, but the other two workers apparently were overcome by toxic fumes about 15 feet inside the sewer.
Fire Chief Jay Ducotes says it's still unclear if the men were city workers or employed by a private company.
Helicopter footage showed rescuers from Phoenix and Scottsdale Fire departments clad in suits meant for dealing with hazardous materials gathering around a small square hole near the mall.
1 hour ago