Apr 23, 2013 7:11 PM
Recently, U. S. News & World Report released their annual Best High Schools in America list. This annual ranking of top high schools is done through a rigorous three step process which includes evaluating all U.S. 22,000 public and charter schools based on the following criteria:
1. Determining if the school's students performed better than the average student in the state.
2. If step one is reached, the school's least-advantaged students must perform better than average in the state.
3. Finally, if the first two criteria are met, the school is evaluated on college-readiness using Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate test scores.
Schools were given a college-readiness score based on the number of seniors who took one or more AP/IB test before or during their senior year divided by the total number of seniors and how well those students scored on the test.
Based on this scoring rubric, 11 local high schools received Gold or Silver ranking. Below you will find each local high school's state and national ranking:
High School State Ranking National Ranking Medal
1. BASIS Tucson 1 2 Gold
2 University High 4 29 Gold
3. Sonoran Science Academy 5 53 Gold
4. Catalina Foothills 8 354 Gold
5. Canyon del Oro 11 859 Silver
6. Sabino 14 880 Silver
7. Ironwood Ridge 16 1003 Silver
8. Flowing Wells 28 1672 Silver
9. Cienega 36 1880 Silver
10. Empire 38 1893 Silver
11. Sahuaro 42 2152 Silver
1 hour ago