Jun 20, 2013 2:00 AM by Associated Press
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Thursday:
1. BERNANKE SPEAKS, DOW DROPS
His announcement that the Fed will likely end its extraordinary bond-buying program next year sends the Dow down more than 200 points.
2. JAMES GANDOLFINI, MAGNETIC 'SOPRANOS' STAR, DIES
The actor, most famous for his role as the tormented mob boss Tony Soprano, dies while vacationing in Rome. He was 51.
3. KERRY TRIES TO GET AFGHAN TALKS BACK ON TRACK
He calls Karzai twice in 24 hours, trying to soothe the Afghan leader's anger over the Taliban's high-profile opening of an office in Qatar.
4. STUDENTS, TAKE NOTE
A compromise taking shape in the Senate would prevent interest rates on student loans from doubling on July 1.
5. HOW OBAMA PLANS TO WIELD HIS EXECUTIVE POWERS
Fulfilling a campaign pledge, he's aiming to tackle the pollution blamed for global warming.
6. FBI DRAWING UP GUIDELINES FOR DRONES
Mueller tells Congress that his agency now uses the unmanned aircraft only rarely, but privacy concerns are still "worthy of debate."
7. BRAZIL RESCINDS HIGHER BUS, SUBWAY FARES
The mayors of Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro pull back the increases, but demonstrations over the fees and other money issues continue across the country.
8. SEARCH FOR UNION BOSS COMES UP EMPTY - AGAIN
Federal and local authorities wrap up an excavation near Detroit that fails to turn up anything that could be linked to Jimmy Hoffa, missing since 1975.
9. 'STRIKING' RESULTS FROM A MEDICAL STUDY
A vaccine against a cervical cancer virus cut infections in teen girls by half, researchers report.
10. WHY PAULA DEEN'S FEELING HEAT OUTSIDE THE KITCHEN
The celeb cook acknowledges in a deposition for a lawsuit that she has used racial slurs.
5 hours ago