TUCSON - Mother's Day is around the corner, and many people are thinking about the perfect gifts to give the mothers in their life. But what is the ultimate gift can a mom give to herself? How a Mommy Makeover? Pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding can take their toll on a woman's body.
There are procedures designed to help remedy the physical effects of child-bearing. Today on News 4 Tucson at 4 p.m., Dr. Gwen Maxwell stopped by to discuss what exactly a "Mommy Makeover" is and who is a candidate.
Here's what she had to say:
What is a Mommy Makeover?
• On average a woman gains 25-35 pounds during pregnancy. As a result, the skin and muscles of the abdomen stretch. The breasts also change in shape and volume. Later, as a woman loses the baby weight, she may also loose breast tissue but keep fatty deposits of the abdomen and thighs.
• The Mommy Makeover is a customized blend of procedures to restore the breasts and body after child-bearing. Typically an abdominoplasty is combined with a breast lift, breast augmentation, liposuction, or in some cases a breast reduction.
• Each mommy makeover is different and based on the needs/wants of each woman.
A Woman is a Candidate for a Mommy makeover when she is:
• Finished having children
• Not breastfeeding for at least 6 months
• At a stable weight
• Any age
• Ready to take time to nurture herself and take it easy while she recovers
• 2 weeks off work
• Lifting and activity restrictions 3-4 weeks
• There will be scars that will remain permanently
Price Range of the Mommy Makeover Procedure in the Tucson Area:
$10,000 to $16,000