Help prevent breast cancer with a monthly Buddy Check - Text "BUDDY" to 95990*
News 4 Tucson has teamed up with the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Southern Arizona for National Breast Cancer Awareness Month to make sure everyone in Tucson is Breast Cancer Aware.
As part of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, News 4 Tucson is launching the Buddy Check 4 Text Alert, an easy reminder to perform monthly breast cancer self-exams.
What is Buddy Check?
Buddy Check is a program to promote breast health by reminding a friend (or having a friend remind you) to perform a monthly breast cancer self-exam.
How it Works
-Find a buddy - a family member, friend, or co-worker.
-On the 4th of each month, call your buddy and remind each other to do a breast self-exam. Click here for tips and advice on performing a monthly exam.
-If you find a lump, call your physician.
Take charge of your health, and encourage a buddy to do the same, by signing up for the News 4 Tucson Buddy Check 4 Text Alert.
Text "BUDDY" to 95990*, and on the 4th of every month for a full year, we will send you a text message reminder for you to either perform a monthly self-test, remind your buddy to self-test, or both.
You can also sign up for Buddy Check 4 by filling out the form below:
* You will receive 1 msg/mo. Msg&data rates may apply. Text HELP to 95990 for help. Text STOP to 95990 to stop this alert. Text STOP ALL to discontinue all alerts from 95990 and News 4 Tucson.
News 4 Tucson is committed to helping the entire Tucson community to be Breast Cancer Aware this month, and throughout the year. Below you'll find more important advice from the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Southern Arizona.
Be Breast Cancer Aware
It's important to know what's normal for your breasts. Use the tips and advice below, but if you notice any changes in your breasts, see your health care provider right away.
1. Know your risk - Talk to your family to learn about your family health history.
- Talk to your doctor about your personal risk of breast cancer.
2. Get screened - Ask your doctor which screening tests are right for you if you are at a higher risk.
- Have a mammogram every year starting at age 40 if you are at average risk.
- Have a clinical breast exam at least every 3 years starting at 20, and every year starting at 40
3. Know what's normal for you - See your healthcare provider straight away if you notice any of these breast changes:
* Lump, hard knot or thickening inside the breast
* Swelling, warmth, redness or darkening of the breast
* Change in the size or shape of the breast
* Dimpling or puckering of the skin
* Itchy, scaly sore or rash on the nipple
* Pulling in of your nipple or other parts of the breast
* Nipple discharge that starts suddenly
* New pain in one spot that does not go away
4. Make healthy lifestyle choices
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Add exercise into your routine
- Limit alcohol intake
- Limit postmenopausal hormone us
- Breastfeed, if you can
10 STEPS TO BREAST SELF-EXAMINATION (BSE):
Feel for changes while lying down:
• Lie down on your back with a pillow under your right shoulder
• Use the pads of the three middle fingers on your left hand to check your right breast.
• Press using light, medium and firm pressure in a circle without lifting your fingers off the skin
• Follow an up and down pattern
• Feel for changes in your breast, above and below your collarbone and in your armpit
• Repeat on your left breast using your right hand
* These steps may be repeated while bathing or showering using soapy hands.
Look for changes in front of the mirror:
• Hold arms at your side
• Hold arms over your head
• Press your hands on your hips and tighten your chest muscles
• Bend forward with your hands on your hips
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Help those in need this holiday season
Win! Win! Win!
Wise Local Marketing!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Let us help grow your business
Digital Channel 4.2
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More